During 2015, BAS supported children’s institutions, homes for destitute elderly, scholarships and educational projects, hospitals and medical equipment. We have supported organizations such as Integro, Samakov Foundation and McKenzie Association that are working very hard to counter bigotry and ethnic hatred with educational programs for children and teenagers.
- BAS funded a CORPLUS-sponsored English language spelling bee in which 6,000 students participated.
- BAS purchased needed ultra-sound equipment for a maternity hospital in Veliko Tarnovo and funded five state-of-the-art microscopes to St. Anne Hospital in Varna. (BAS helped purchase a blood analyzer for this hospital about ten years ago.)
- BAS fully funded Tabitha Foundation requests for:
- Computer lessons in a children’s institution
- Literacy instructions in another children’s institution
- Roman day home for destitute elderly
- Repairs at Vratza Children’s Home
- Furniture in a children’s home in Razliv
- Literacy lessons in Roman
- Contribution to a psychologist’s salary
- Babas in several children’s homes
- BAS sent money to help repair the collapsed roof at the elementary school in Kazanlak.
- BAS granted funds to Detstvo for university scholarships for students leaving orphanages.
- BAS granted funds to Bulgarian Charities Aid Foundation for university scholarships.
- BAS provided a grant to Samakov Foundation for scholarships and for programs fighting bigotry and intolerance.
- BAS provided a grant to Integro Foundation for special educational programs for Roma students, and for training to fight bigotry.
- BAS sent a donation to Arete for a children’s camp.
- BAS sent funds to Stara Zagora Community Foundation for a program of hippotherapy to assist autistic adults and children.
- BAS provided funds for the Stara Zagora Community Foundation for a children’s home.
BAS relies on donations from those who want to help Bulgarians improve their lives. We ask you to join us in helping these important institutions and foundations. BAS is a 501(c)(3) organization and all donations are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law. Tax-deductible donations may be made out to Bulgarian-American Society and sent to me at 7701 Granada Drive, Bethesda, MD 20817-6607
Thanks to all who helped make this a year of accomplishments for our colleagues in Bulgaria.